Sixteen people escape unhurt.
Nkukuabuoho (Ash), Aug. 31, GNA - Sixteen persons escaped unhurt when fire broke out in a house in which they live at Nkukuabuoho in the Kwabre District on Monday.
The fire completely razed the house destroying all the property of the occupants including six children.
Items destroyed, included six mattresses, wax prints, trunks, sewing machines, chainsaw machine, refrigerators, television sets and video decks, cooking utensils and cash, about seven million cedis. Speaking to newsmen and officials from the Kwabre District Directorate of the National Disaster Management (NADMO) on Monday, Madam Catherine Amakye, a trader and owner of the house said the fire started at about 2100 hours when she and the other members of the household were asleep.
She said when she heard of the fire she came out with the four children she was sleeping with but because of the intensity of the fire she could not go back to pick anything from the room.
Madam Amakye said she called the office of the Ghana National Fire Service in Kumasi but by the time they got to the scene the fire had spread to all the rooms and when it was finally brought under control everything had been destroyed.
She said all her personal belongings were burnt except the cloth she was wearing when she came out from the room and that she and the other occupants of the house were putting up with friends and relatives. Mr Peter Boateng, District NADMO Co-ordinator, expressed his sympathy to the victims and said NADMO would do its best to assist them.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known.