Listen to music while browsing

Two confirmed dead in Bimoba-Konkomba clashes

By GNA

Tamale, March 7, GNA - Two persons have been confirmed dead in the renewed clashes between Konkombas and the Bimibas in the early hours of Wednesday creating more tension and anxiety in the area.

The bodies of the victims were found later on Wednesday with gunshot wounds but their identities were yet to be established. More than 30 houses including the Konkomba chief's palace had been burnt while other valuables had also been destroyed.

Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Ebenezer Tetteh, Northern Regional Police Public Relations Officer, told the GNA in Tamale on Thursday that the bodies had since been buried while a civilian who was injured in the process had been referred to the Tamale Teaching Hospital with gunshot wounds.

He said five of the nine security personnel who were injured as a result of sporadic shooting on their patrol vehicle by the irate Bimoba group were still on admission and responding to treatment.

He said after the sporadic gunshots, the vehicle of the patrol team somersaulted.

Narrating the incident earlier to the GNA in Tamale, Superintendent Alhaji Mahama Arhin, Northern Regional Crime Officer of the Ghana Police Service said the two ethnic groups had been at loggerheads for a very long time over some parcels of lands and any minor misunderstanding always resulted in attacks on each other.

He explained that on Tuesday evening, an armed robbery incident occurred at Kpamali in the Bunkpurugu/Yunyoo district which resulted in the firing of a gunshot, adding that the two groups having been suspicious of each other thought one faction was preparing for war thus culminating in both factions mobilizing themselves on Wednesday morning awaiting in their respective territories for attack.

He said nine policemen and two military officers went to the scene and prevailed upon the Konkombas to withdraw which they did but the Bimobas seeing the Konkonbas' withdrawal, took the advantage to attack some nearby Konkonba settlements burning 30 houses and destroying several personal belongings.

Alhaji Arhin said one AK47 rifle and a locally manufactured pistol were retrieved from the Bimobas, stressing that both groups were using sophisticated guns.

He further indicated that a week ago, a similar incident nearly occurred when the Bimobas in the area became suspicious of a chief who had returned from a journey  and whom they suspected had brought guns in preparation for war.

Superintendent Arhin said more police personnel had been deployed from the Brong Ahafo and the Upper East Regions to maintain security, adding that the place was calm.

GNA

The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest willing to let them.
By: roylexi.com

Suspected Robbers Burnt To Death In

Photo Credit: Ibrahim Abubakar Monday, March 30, 2015

[B]Two suspected robbers were Monday morning set ablaze by angry residents of Ay ...
read more »

Voice of wife leads husband to anot

Friday, March 20, 2015

Sunyani, March 20, GNA - A Magistrate court at Goaso in the Asunafo North Munici ...
read more »

Rawlings and Konadu attend Namibia

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Accra, March 25, GNA - Former President Flt Lt Jerry John Rawlings and his wif ...
read more »

International airlines not using Ku

Friday, March 27, 2015

Accra, March 27, GNA - No airline has applied to operate the Kumasi Airport i ...
read more »