ICC postpones Gbagbo confirmation of charges hearing
6/12/2012 3:40:00 PM -
THE HAGUE (AFP) - The International Criminal Court on Tuesday postponed a hearing to confirm charges against former Ivorian president Laurent Gbagbo, but did not give a new date.
Gbagbo's lawyers had asked the Hague-based court on June 7 to postpone the hearing while it awaited more financial resources in order to be able to mount a more effective defence.
The hearing had originally been scheduled for next Monday, June 18.
But the court said Tuesday that, "today, following the request submitted by Laurent Gbagbo's defence, the pre-trial chamber of the International Criminal Court decided to postpone the opening of the confirmation of charges hearing in the case the Prosecutor v. Laurent Gbagbo."
"The new date will be communicated in the near future," the court added in its statement.
The judges said they had taken into consideration the fact that Gbagbo's lawyers had been given additional resources shortly before the confirmation of charges hearing was to open next Monday.
"The chamber decided to postpone the opening of the hearing, to give the defence time to apply effectively these additional means for its preparation for the confirmation hearing," the statement added.
Gbagbo was transferred to the ICC's detention unit in The Hague on November 30 and currently face four counts of crimes against humanity.
Post-poll violence broke out when Gbagbo, who turned 67 last week, refused to step down in favour of his long-time rival and current President Alassane Ouattara, who was declared winner after the 2010 polls.
Five months of unrest followed before Gbagbo was arrested in his heavily fortified home in April last year by forces loyal to Ouattara, with UN and French military backing.