Victims of Fulani herdsmen atrocities refuse to take part in identification parade
5/16/2012 4:30:43 PM -
Koforidua, May 16, GNA-Many people who had suffered atrocities perpetrated against them by Fulani herdsmen in the Kwahu East area refused to participate in an identification parade organized by the police to identify suspects arrested after the murder of four farmers in the District from January to April.
The situation was attributed to fear or possible retaliation from the perpetrators.
Not even the support of the District Chief Executive (DCE), Mr Omari Sasu, in providing transport to the victims to Koforidua would encourage them to go to the parade.
Only five victims gathered the courage to take part in the identification parade.
The five victims, all males identified three Fulanis in connection with the murder of four persons, threat and attack that had occurred this year including that of a father and his son in their home.
The 24 suspects who were paraded at the Eastern Regional Police Command were arrested by the Regional Security Council following rampant reports of unprovoked attacks on peasant farmers and other indigenes in the district last week.
Police Superintendent Edward Konyel, the Regional Crime Officer, briefing the Ghana News Agency (GNA), after the parade said many of the victims entertained fear of retaliation by those who would be left off the hook after the exercise and therefore refused to take part in it.
He said despite the assurance of adequate security measures in place to protect them, the people refused to come and expressed worry that although their concerns were genuine the police could not handle the matter without the cooperation of the community and especially the victims.
He said the three Fulani herdsmen who had been identified would be further investigated and charged and the rest would be freed.