Egypt military announce third overnight curfew
5/6/2012 8:10:00 PM -
CAIRO (AFP) - Egypt's ruling military will impose an overnight curfew on Sunday in the defence ministry district for a third night following deadly clashes with protesters, the official MENA news agency said .
The curfew will go into effect between 2100 GMT on Sunday and 0400 GMT on Monday, the official said.
The Abbassiya district of the capital where the defence ministry is located was calm on Sunday after the second overnight curfew in a row and after the military on Saturday ordered 300 people detained after Friday's clashes.
The violence, which left two people dead including a soldier, erupted just three weeks ahead of Egypt's first presidential election since a popular uprising ousted president Hosni Mubarak last year.
The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF), which took charge after Mubarak was ousted, has vowed to hand power to civilian rule when a president is elected.
But protesters believe the army wants to maintain a degree of power even after the election and fear the polls will be rigged in favour of a pro-military candidate.
The presidential election is scheduled for May 23 and 24 with a run-off for June 16 and 17 if there is no outright winner.