WAEC Records Few Exam Malpractices
4/26/2012 8:31:44 AM -
The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) says it had few reports of examination malpractices in the just-ended Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE).
The malpractices recorded would be investigated and those involved sanctioned.
The sanctions include the withholding and cancellation of results.
“We will take the appropriate action after the investigations are concluded,” Principal Public Affairs Officer of WAEC, Mrs Agnes Teye-Cudjoe, told the Daily Graphic in an interview.
She, however, did not give details of the reported malpractice but reiterated that the appropriate action would be taken on the matter.
She indicated that the candidates, school authorities, supervisors and invigilators were all made aware of the dos and don’ts of the examination.
With that Mrs Cudjoe wondered why some people would still want to indulge in examination malpractices when enough education was carried out.
Generally she said the examination went well.
During a tour of the BECE centres, the Minister of Education, Mr Lee Ocran, called on candidates to avoid examination malpractices, since they constituted a criminal offence
The 2012 BECE started on Monday, April 16, 2012 and ended on Monday, April 22, 2012. More than 376,000 candidates from 11,164 public and private junior high schools (JHSs) took part in the examination.
The total candidature represented a 4,033 increase over last year’s figure of 372,826 who came from 10,500 schools.
The candidates wrote the examination at 1,339 centres and were supervised by 13,212 invigilators and supervisors.
In all, 203,394 males and 173,465 females sat for the one-week examination.
The Ashanti region had the highest number of candidates for the examination.
The region had a total of 77,222 candidates comprising 36,157 females and 41,065 males.
Following the Ashanti region was the Greater Accra region with 66,964 candidates made up of 32,673 males and 34,291 females.