Asantehene unveils renovated church house
4/23/2012 4:00:49 PM -
Kumasi, April 23, GNA - The Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, has performed the ceremony to inaugurate the renovated church building and tower of the Saint Anne's Anglican Church at Ash-Town, Kumasi.
The works involved extension of the wings of the building, fixing of wall and floor tiles, sliding doors and windows, painting, electrical installation and construction of a new hall.
The project took eight years to complete.
Otumfuo Osei Tutu recounted the history of the Church in the country, stating how his predecessor, Nana Osei Agyemang Prempeh, had converted to the Anglican faith and helped to establish it on his return from Seychelles Island in 1924, where he had been exiled by the British colonial powers.
He paid glowing tribute to all those who in diverse ways had contributed to its growth.
The Asantehene pledged continued support towards the development of the Church.
The Right Reverend Dr Daniel Yinkah Sarfo, the Diocesan Bishop, assisted by Rt Rev Dr Cyril Kobina Ben-Smith, the Suffragan Bishop, and other members of the clergy, later consecrated the house including its baptismal font, chancel, lectern, pulpit, altar and set of musical instruments.
He congratulated the founding fathers, the past and present clergy, whose zeal, enthusiasm and dedication had led to its spread and increase in membership.
The Diocesan Bishop used the occasion to decorate Mr Charles Opoku-Darko, a server of the sanctuary of the church, for his dedication and singular support for the Saint Anne's Church.
He exhorted the congregation to continue to use the building for the intended purpose - 'a house of prayer, worship, teaching and fellowship and a springboard for massive evangelism.'