S.Africa cables moved after giraffes electrocuted
4/20/2012 4:10:00 PM -
JOHANNESBURG (AFP) - South Africa's power utility has moved cables in a wildlife sanctuary after several giraffes were electrocuted when they walked into the low-hanging wires, a conservation official said Friday.
At least four giraffes have died since June 2011 in Marloth Park holiday town nestled against the legendary Kruger Park after power utility Eskom installed electricity poles that were too short.
The low-hanging wires "increased the likelihood of possible negative interactions" between the giraffes and the wires, said Constant Hoogstad for the conservation NGO Endangered Wildlife in a statement Friday.
The power utility moved the offending wires in a single day in March after conservationists raised an uproar, Hoogstad said.
"They installed new transformers where necessary and lifted those that were too low and a threat to wandering giraffes," said Hoogstad.