Health workers begin indefinite strike
The national executive of the Health Workers Group has declared an indefinite nationwide strike effective Monday.
The workers threatened last week they would embark on the industrial action to protest government’s inability to correct disparities in their salaries.
A leading member of the executive told Joy News they have called the strike despite threats from government to dismiss or withhold salaries of those who will join in the industrial action.
Government had said it had information only a few disgruntled members of the group were intent on embarking on the strike and that majority was against it. It however warned the workers they risked their jobs or salaries should they embark on any strikes.
In response to the threats, the chairman of the group, Raymond Tetteh said they could not be intimidated.
He told Joy News government had all along been trumpeting that the workers should use due process in addressing the issue but after they (health workers) had exhausted all avenues to no avail, they had no option but to lay down their tools.
He said the strike was a collective decision and was sure the members were prepared for whatever government had in store for them.