Ashanti NDC cries foul

By myjoyonline

12/28/2008 6:37:58 PM -

The NDC in the Ashanti Region has raised concerns over today's presidential runoff, citing a catalogue of irregularities.

Nana Ohene Agyekum, NDC Ashanti Region Chairman, alleged on Citi FM that the New Patriotic Party (NPP) has employed the services of some 'machomen' to intimidate NDC supporters, driving away of their agents, and also accused Electoral Commission officials of applying fake indelible ink on people's fingers to enable them wipe and revote.

The NDC had early on held a press conference to outline some electoral irregularities going on in the region to draw the attention of the Ghanaian public and international and local observers monitoring the election.

“From all the reports we have received across the region clearly there has been an orchestration of intimidation, harassment, molestation and violence, which are all, we believe, intended to make it difficult for our polling agents to perform their functions effectively as well as preventing our supporters from exercising their franchise."

He mentioned places like Afrancho, Ejisu, Kwadaso among other communities were the alleged anomalies including burning of NDC vehicle and temporary detention of party's parliamentary candidate are going on.

Ohene Agyekum said the development in the region “undermines the very essence of the event that is taking place today”, which he said also makes “mockery” of the exercise.

He is also asking party agents who are being threatened to desist from signing the result at the end of polling.

The Regional Chairman said the EC, the police and other relevant authorities have been informed about the situation in the Ashanti Region.

But Dr. Nyaho Nyaho Tamkloe, a leading member of the NPP, said he was not surprised by the NDC's allegations, which he said were ploy by the NDC to use "mayhem" to destroy the election during and after the election.

Story by Isaac Essel

Other Stories
02-09-2014  Npp Race: Alan K Must Opt Out To Avert Shame — boateng Gyan 01-09-2014  Northern Npp Council Of Elders Also Kick Against 2nd Congress 01-09-2014  Akufo-addo's Resounding Victory Implies Npp Means Business - Owusu-ankomah 01-09-2014  Two Law Suits Compel Ndc To Suspend Election Of Regional Executives 01-09-2014  Npp Internal Elections Not For The Faint-hearted - Asabee 01-09-2014  Npp Foreign Executives Commend Joe Ghartey's Backing Out Of Race 01-09-2014  Anybody Who Stands In Akufo-addo's Way Will Die - Npp Chairman 01-09-2014  Ndc Man Curses Journalist 01-09-2014  Npp Presidential Race: Nana Tops… Alan Shocked, Apraku, Asabee Crash 01-09-2014  Npp Far From Implosion - Akuffo Addo 01-09-2014  There Is 'deafening Noise' For Akufo-addo To Lead Npp - Hamid 01-09-2014  Joe Ghartey Bows Out Of Npp Race 01-09-2014  Joe Ghartey Steps Down From Npp Flagbearership Race 01-09-2014  Joe Ghartey Withdraws From Npp Final Race And Pledges Support For Akufo-addo 01-09-2014  President Kufour Won't Vote Again In Npp 31-08-2014  Open Display Of Thumb-printed Vote…karbo & Npp Northern Reg 2nd Veep Fingered 31-08-2014  Npp Chairman In Shocking Behaviour As He Shows His Vote To Aide 31-08-2014  We Must Now Focus On Our Greatest Opponent, The Ndc - Akufo-addo 31-08-2014  Npp Super Delegates' Conference: Akufo-addo-80.78%, The Rest- 19.22% 31-08-2014  Apraku, Asa B Crash Out Of Npp Presidential Race 31-08-2014  Photos: Delegates Vote At Npp Super Delegates' Conference 31-08-2014  Open Support For Akufo-addo Marks Ongoing Npp Special Delegates Congress 31-08-2014  Kufuor Abstains From Voting In Npp Super Delegates' Conference 31-08-2014  Npp Must Stop Joking And Restrategize 31-08-2014  Npp Congress: Kufour Abstains From Voting 31-08-2014  Don’t Photograph Your Votes — minority Leader To Npp Delegates 31-08-2014  Confusion Rocks Some Polling Centres At Npp Super Delegates' Congress 31-08-2014  Npp Super Congress: Titus-glover Stopped From Voting 31-08-2014  Profile Of Npp Presidential Aspirants For Super Delegates Congress 31-08-2014  Npp-usa Monitors The Super Delegates Congress 31-08-2014  Npp Super Delegates' Congress Polls Opens 31-08-2014  Npp Super Delegates' Congress Kicks Off Sunday 30-08-2014  Npp’s Congress Is A Waste Of Money – Casely-hayford 30-08-2014  Nana Tipped…to Win Npp Race 30-08-2014  Nana Promises Victory For Npp 30-08-2014  Ndc Organiser Quits 29-08-2014  Npp Special Delegates Congress Results To Be Declared After 3pm 29-08-2014  Ndc Supreme Court Rally Stopped 29-08-2014  Court Decides On Npp Today 29-08-2014  Nana Akufo Addo The Best Man To Lead Npp To Victory 2016
Joy is the ultimate
By: lawrence