Hit On TV; Flop As Bolly Actors
3/16/2010 10:54:57 AM -
They make a name for themselves on TV serials. We all remember the characters they play. Their faces register but not their names. The next step for them is to transform into Bolly actors. They do get movies too but in inconsequential roles. And finally they realise Bollywood is not their cup of tea. Most return to the small screen.
Why do these TV actors not able to carve out a niche for themselves barring Shahrukh Khan. He is the only true King of Bollywood and TV. He performs and is liked on whatever platform he is on. He is truly universal.What does the new breed of telly actors lack or need? When they have all the glamour and acting skills, why does Bollywood reject them?
When Bollywood accepts regional cinema stars (Sridevi, Jayaprada) or NRIs (Katrina Kaif) on even international stars like Kylie Minogue and Sylvester Stallone, a model like John Abraham can become a top star, why the step motherly treatment to these talented stars from TV? Is the reason that TV stars get a set image and the viewers cannot accept them on silver screen? Does their image is their killer?
It is a fact one role gets them typecast and even if the same actor appears on TV in another role, viewer still calls them by their popular role name. Money is good on TV and even popularity is gained but Bollywood remains elusive. So, TV becomes the deathbed of these talented dynamos.
While newer TV actors find an identity for themselves with the serials, they get trapped in that identity and it is difficult to come out of it. They come from ad world or from theatre or from modelling or are just raw. There are so many new faces that many hardly register or make connection with the viewers. Some are mere beef hunks and glamour dolls.
From successful TV actors, expectations run high. They themselves start seeing dreams of repeating the success on silver screen. One or two flops later they realise their folly and land on terra firma. They either continue doing character actor roles/second lead heroines or are back to square one - TV.
Whereas the other way round (from Bollywood to TV) it is all rosy. Shahrukh Khan, Salman Khan. Akshay Kumar and Amitabh Bachchan have all lent glamour and TRPs to their TV shows. Their enigma and fan following grows with each episode of their shows.
1. Shahrukh Khan (44) - Dil Dariya (1988); Fauji (1988), Circus (1989); Deewana (1992); My Name Is Khan (2010)
2. Ram Kapoor (36) - Ghar Ek Mandir (2000); Karthik Calling Karthik (2010); Swayamvar 2 Rahul Dulhaniya Le Jayega (2010)
3. Eijaz Khan (34 - Kusum (2001); Meerabai Not Out (2008); Bhaskar Bharti (2009)
4. Rajeev Khandelwal (34) - Kya Hadsa Kya Haquiqat (2002); Aamir (2008); Sach Ka Saamna (2009)
5. Amar Upadhdhay (33) - Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi (1999); Dahshat (2000); Dhund The Fog (2003); LOC Kargil (2003); Bidaai (2009)
6. Ayaz Khan (31) - Dil Mil Gaye (2005); Hide & Seek (2010)
7. Ali Asgar - Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki (2000); Joru Ka Ghulam (2000); Bingo Game Show (2010)
8. Bakhtiyar Irani (29) - Bigg Boss 3 (2009); Love Ka Tadka (2009)
9. Bobby Darling - Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin (2003); Apna Sapna Money Money (2006)
10. Karan Singh Grover - Dil Mil Gaye (2007); Bhram (2008); Jhalak Dikhla Ja (2009)
1. Saakshi Tanwar (37) - Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki (2000); Coffee House (2009)
2.Sandhya Mridul (34) - Swabhimaan (1995); Saathiya (2002); Ustadon Ke Ustad (2008)
3. Smriti Zubin Irani (33) - Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi (1999); politics and back
4. Ketki Dave - Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi (1999); Aamdani Atthani Kharcha Rupaiyaa (2001); Nach Baliye Season 2 (2005)
5. Gracy Singh (29) - Amanat (1997); Lagaan (2001); Munnabhai MBBS (2003)
6. Anita Hasanandini (Natasha, 28) - Kabhi Sautan Kabhi Saheli (2002); KrishnaCottage (2004); Dancing Queen (2008)
7. Nausheen Sardar Ali - Kkusum (2001); Three: Love, Lies, Betrayal (2009)
8. Prachi Desai (21) - Kasamh Se (2006); Rock On (2008); Life Partner (2009)
9. Hansika Motwani (18) - Des Mein Nikla Hoga Chand (1999); Aap Ka Suroor (2007)
10. Avika Gor (12) - Balika Vadhu (2009); Morning